Tuesday, June 23, 2009

How things are going so far

I think clearly the best medicine for Michael is being here with his family - especially the kids and his guitars ;) He's kept his sense of humor about everything (better than I have) and is in pretty good spirits. He's restless and wants to do things, but I'm trying not to let him. "What a good wife," he says, as I make him lie down and fetch him things. I do have ulterior motives, however. I want him back in commission so he can help out with these animals we're raising, but I know that if he does too much too soon, it will only set him back.

He lost 10 lbs. while in the hospital, bringing his total weight loss since he began treatment in February to somewhere around 30 lbs. He's starting to look positively svelte.

This past week I have actually briefly toyed with the idea of taking up smoking again. It's been a number of years since I quit, and a very long time since the urge left me. This past week, however, there have been many moments when I thought, "Damn, what I wouldn't do for a cigarette right now." How silly. Like inviting more cancer into our home is a good idea. So instead I walk, and when I walk, I walk with a vengeance.

We're being inundated with food. Friends and neighbors have brought over meals, and word has it that Michael's firm is having several meals delivered to our house later today. It's been such a huge help, and I am so grateful.

10 comments:

Tricia said...

Glad Michael is home.

Don't you dare start smoking, Missy Mae! :)Just keep walking! Orrrr.r..maybe start crocheting! :)

I can imagine it must be a STRONG urge. But don't do it, Mama. We love you too much! :)

Eternal Lizdom said...

So glad you have a good support system caring for you. Hopefully you can lean on people in a few weeks when all the meals are gone and offers lapsed... never be afraid to lean on these people who love you guys.

Lorna said...

I am so glad to hear that he is home with you! Believe me, I know about that urge to smoke again but I don't want to have to quit again so it's easier to just not start again. I am sending you tons of positive vibes!

Carla said...

Walk, walk, walk! Welcome home, Michael!

Jeanette said...

If you keep walking everytime you want to smoke, then you will pretty svelt too!

livinglifeafter65 said...

Hang in there - keep walking - and keep us posted on Michael as well as yourself and the children.

Taryl said...

Cigs won't taste as good as that yummy food everyone brought! I am so friggin thrilled he is in good spirits, love of family is such balm to the soul!

Cheryl said...

Glad to hear your hubby is doing o.k.Hope he heals quickly.

Keep up the walking!Your family needs you!

CJ Field said...

I am so sorry you guys are going through this....my heart and prayers are with you!

Nicole O'Dell said...

Eat, don't smoke! :)

Don't do it! ;)