Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day, Part II

I took Daisy and Annabelle to the hospital to see Michael today. He was, of course, thrilled to see them. They were excited about seeing him, too, although a bit standoffish when we got there. We walked the halls with Michael, and the girls didn't want to hold his hand, and I think Michael was a little hurt. I just know that the whole environment was a little intimidating and unsettling for them, not to mention the fact that they couldn't figure out why Daddy was wearing a nightgown!


All in all it was a nice visit.

So he is off the IV now and allowed, and actually eating, a pretty normal diet with just a few restrictions. There is talk that he may be discharged tomorrow (Monday).

It's funny . . . well, not funny . . . but anyway, I was thinking about when Finn had his surgery, and I was so determined to get him out of the hospital and home with me as soon as possible, because I knew in my heart that I could take care of him better than anyone could. I am nervous about Michael coming home. I, of course, miss him like crazy. But I am lacking that confidence about being able to take care of him. Maybe I'm blowing the whole thing up in my mind far bigger than it actually is - in reality, I don't know in what respects he will need, or even want, me to take care of him.

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself. I know that he is going stir crazy there in the hospital and will probably do much better at home. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

8 comments:

Eternal Lizdom said...

Sounds like it was a good Father's Day. Good to see him out of bed and smiling!

Leigh Anne said...

so glad the girls got to see him on father's day. he looks really good. also good to hear that he's off the IV and eating. def. a step in the right direction...

Lisa B said...

He looks pretty damn good considering all he's been through! Hope he comes home today - don't worry about it, him being home and whatever care he will need, it will all fall into place...Lisa

Carla said...

His color looks great, Lisa. Just think, already he is getting stronger. Wonderful! I'm glad Daisy & Annabelle got to see him. I would have been intimidated by the hospital, too. :-(

Amy W said...

It sounds like maybe a Father's Day Redux is in order after he gets home.

I understand your trepidation about his coming home, I think it is completely natural. The children expect and want you to do as many things as you are willing to do for them! A husband has different boundaries and pride and his own emotions wrapped up in the situation, making it a fuzzier situation to have to try and figure out.

My thoughts and prayers are with you guys. :)

Tricia said...

So glad Michael got to see the girls. I am not sure how today panned (is panning) out, but I hope well.

Jen said...

OMG does Annabelle ever look like Finn. They have the same face!

And Michael looks great. Glad he got a visit from his girls.

Anonymous said...

I’m glad your husband is home with you. The power of your bond with Michael will help him heal :)

Yes, there is a lot of adjusting to do. However, you ARE stronger than you may feel at times and once again you will find your way, you will overcome these challenging times…

JN