Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Book Review: The Midwife



The Midwife by Jennifer Worth: I can hardly find the words to say how much I loved this memoir. The author writes about her experiences as a nurse/midwife in the slums of 1950's London. By turns heartbreaking and joyful, full of history, as well as amazing and harrowing stories of birth, this is one of those books that I didn't want to end. I would love to see her follow this up with more of her experiences. She's an amazing writer, and puts to paper very visual stories - I felt like I was there, watching it all happen. This book is one that will stay with me for a long time.

2 comments:

Angie said...

thanks for the review Lisa. I've just ordered myself a copy :)

Susan Gill said...

I was right-that is the book a client just gave me. I can't wait to go on another vacation so I can read it.