Monday, June 8, 2009

Book Review: Without a Map



Without a Map by Meredith Hall: This memoir is so beautifully written and so haunting. It recounts the author's experience of becoming pregnant at 16 in the 1960's and thereafter being exhiled by everyone she loved and counted on. She gives her baby up for adoption, never laying eyes on him until he finds her when he is a young adult. Through all those years following her baby's birth and adoption, she wanders through life, longing for the child she has given up, as well as for her parents who turned their backs on her and now insistently pretend that the pregnancy and shunning of their daughter never happened. There is a certain healing when she is reunited with her lost son, but also a new kind of pain when she learns that the couple who adopted and raised him lived in poverty and abused him. This is a story about longing, finding one's self, and finding forgiveness. Although it often had me in tears, I couldn't put it down.

It's up for grabs. Email me if you want it; first come, first served.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

I'll take it. And then it can go back in the rotation if anyone else wants it.

Kristin said...

Added to my must read list. I'll take unless it is already gone.

livinglifeafter65 said...

With adoption stories in my life, I'd love to be on the list to receive it - if rotation is what you plan.

Bless you for sharing the crux of the story.