Saturday, January 3, 2009

Never Again

I thought it would be nice to take Annabelle and Daisy out for some lunch and shopping today. Lunch was fine. Then we hit the dance supply store to buy them new leotards and tights, as they will be starting back up with ballet/tap next weekend. That went fine as well (except for the part where I had to keep saying "Stop touching that. Stop touching that. Stop touching that."). Then we hit the mall because I had a couple of things to return/exchange, plus I wanted to look for raincoats and umbrellas for them (can you believe Target doesn't carry any children's raincoats or umbrellas? At least my Target doesn't).

One word: freaking nightmare. Okay, that's two words. Remember how I thought Daisy might be starting to get over some of her phobias? Ha! Apparently all elevators are not created equal, because she FREAKED every time we had to get on an elevator at the mall today (which was no less than five times). Hysterical screaming, shaking, crying, the whole bit. And of course we never got onto an empty elevator, it was always with witnesses. Plus, Daisy's hysteria rubbed off on Annabelle, and she was crying too. Then we got to a point where it was clear that if we didn't find a restroom, Annabelle was going to let loose in Macy's. Well, don't forget that public restrooms is another item on Daisy's list of Things I'm Terrified Of. But no matter, it had to be done. So we find a restroom and I have to physically force the two of them into the largest stall I could find (along with Finn who was in the stroller). Both girls are crying and screaming. I'm surprised that nobody called security, because I'm sure it looked/sounded like I was dragging them into the stall to beat the crap out of them (which by that time, believe me, seemed very tempting). Even though Annabelle was dancing around and hopping from foot to foot to keep from wetting her pants, I had to force her onto the toilet where she screamed and cried the entire time. I didn't even try to make Daisy sit on the toilet - I'm sure she would have passed out from terror.

After the bathroom ordeal, I marched them all out to the truck and headed home. I am still in a foul mood over that nightmare. Michael and I are supposed to go out to dinner tonight, and I don't think he even wants to be around me.

Oh, and Macy's didn't have children's raincoats or umbrellas either. It's freaking January and we've already had plenty of rain. WTF?

4 comments:

Eternal Lizdom said...

What a HORRIBLE experience!! I hope you go out to dinner, have some wine, and relax!

Jodi said...

Oh, I feel your pain with the mall trip. "Never again" is a common refrain around here!

P.S. I just saw a bunch of raincoats at the TJ Maxx on Imperial in Brea. No socks which is what we were there for, but plenty of raincoats.

Kristin said...

May your journey to find raincoats be brief and your temper with the kids be long. Hope that some of those phobias dissolve soon. Maybe this will be one of those days to look back on and laugh...maybe?...i'm a few years?....many many years?

Brandie said...

I've learned to shop alone or online. Dd2 always ends up crying and overstimulated. It is getting better, but she's almost 7.