Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I failed.

Mornings are a problem with Kevin. It's always been an ordeal to get him up out of bed and ready for school on time - it's been this way since he started school at 4 years old. He stalls. He dawdles. He takes forever to do the simplest things. I've gotten to the point that I set the kitchen timer every morning to motivate him to get his butt moving. Four out of five mornings end up with me and/or Michael (depending on who is taking him to school that day) yelling at him to get moving. It's stressful. I hate it.

This morning was no different. I got him up at 6, the usual time. Forty-five minutes later I go into his room and he's still not even dressed. I was pissed, so I yelled at him. He then takes it out on Joey and starts bickering with him, and next thing I know, they're taking turns coming at me and tattling on each other. Kevin ended up telling Joey to "shut up" this morning. Which is NOT acceptable, that language. So I let Kevin have it again, about his language. But he never takes responsibility, it's always someone else's fault (this is a trait I am convinced he inherited from his father - his actual, biological father - which makes it even more difficult for me to swallow, because, really? I can hardly bear the thought of Kevin being anything like him). An hour after I originally got him up out of bed, he finally saunters into the kitchen for breakfast, in a bad mood, with a big ol' attitude. He and I start going at it again, and finally he starts screaming at me and calls me "STUPID!" It was then that I lost it. I let my hand fly and smacked him (it landed on his arm I believe).

And right away visions of my own mother came to my head. This was NOT the kind of parent I set out to be. And granted, I don't let my hand fly like that very often, and I certainly don't beat the crap out of my kids like she did or verbally berate them. But this isn't about my mother. It's about me, and how big a failure I feel like now. For losing my temper like that. For losing perspective. For losing control. For alienating my kid, even just a little bit.

And he's only 12. I suspect it's only going to get worse, these episodes. He's got all these hormones churning through him. He's trying to figure out who he is and where he's going. He's stuck in some pergatory between child and adult and sometimes has a hard time figuring out how to deal with that. I know. I remember. My memories of being 12 . . . and beyond . . . are not pleasant ones.

He later came to me and apologized for calling me "stupid." I told him that not only is name-calling anyone unacceptable, but saying "stupid" is no better than saying "retarded." He started crying then. It's very, very unsettling to see your 12-year-old son cry.

Ach.

I need to do better with this kid.

6 comments:

Eternal Lizdom said...

That does sound stressful... I'm sorry you have that going on.

I've felt immense guilt on the few occasions that I've lost my temper and spanked my daughter.

When he apologized to you, did you apologize to him?

I find that when I'm in a place that I'm parenting in a way I don't like, I have to start with changes in what I am choosing to do. Like spanking. I could either not accept responsibility for my choice to spank Teagan and blame her... "it's her fault, she was asking for it, nothing else would work." Or, I could evaluate my own choices and actions and figure out what I could do to avoid hitting the next time she had a meltdown.

It sounds like you have a lot of concerns about him taking personal responsibility seriously. I highly recommend authors Chick Moorman and Thomas Haller (they've done stuff with prg.org, too). They teach parenting courses and also communication classes to teachers. Big focus on language. Anyway, the books I would read are "The 10 Commitments" and "The Only 3 Discipline Strategies You Will Ever Need."

Hang in there... this parenting thing is hard. And I'm watching you so that I know what's coming up ahead of me!

Brandie said...

Ugh, my Mom always said 12 was a hard age for boys. She swore my brother lost all common sense then.

Jodi said...

There's a scene in "Mommie Dearest" where Joan Crawford straps the kids in bed at night. After putting my kid to bed for the upteenth time one night (with much yelling, threatening, tears, etc) - I actually thought - you know, she got a really bad rap for that. If I had straps available, I'm not sure I wouldn't try that! We've all been there - that point where you're so disappointed in yourself you can't believe it. I know it's bad when I identify with Mommie Dearest!! Hang in there, Lisa!

Amy W said...

Oh my. If that is the first time you've ever smacked him and he's 12.... well congratulations to you.

It sounds like you are an infinitely patient and kind mother... and I think it is not a bad thing for kids to learn that people can snap if they are pushed too far. On his own part and others'.

But I understand your feelings... I went through them years ago when I lost it it with my challenging first son. sigh....

My name is Sarah said...

Lisa, this is Joyce. I rarely have time to come over here on this blog, but my boss went home sick this morning, so you know the rest of the story...of course I am playing. I don't know why I had not really made the connection that we are both struggling through life with 12 year old boys at the moment. I remember with TJ that this is the beginning of a few tough years. A friend of mine back then advised me to pick my battles, you can't fight them all, so pick the ones that are really important to you and let the rest go. Boy is that tough. It was good advice though. I think we all loose our cool from time to time. I think an important difference though, is having the ability to see what went wrong and try to make some changes. The moms that don't care do not take the time to do that part.

Our newest issue is girls, which I did not have with the first one. He found his love early on and they have stuck like magnets. Oh my gosh does Matt love the girls and they love him. He is getting into big time trouble because of it. I jsut posted video of him last night at his band concert getting into trouble talking to a girl. You can scrool down to the bottom of Sarah's blog to see it or his site is www.sportsguyely.blogspot.com.

doulamom said...

we have morning hell get ups too. Yelling is regular & I feel like a complete looser. today I actually had to pull Corinne down from her top bunk.. Then she cried I "clawed her" UGH!

Maybe a book on nonviolent parenting might have some ideas... ?