Monday, January 12, 2009

Just what I need

Let me start out by saying that I have been having serious body-image issues since Finn was born. I've been naturally thin my whole life and have never had to work very hard to get something resembling my old body back after having each of my babies. It's taken me a bit longer after each to get back into my old clothes, but I've managed it within a few months each time. Until Finnian, that is. I'm sure it's a combination of factors: my age, the fact that he was my SIXTH baby, the fact that I got nearly as big with him as I did with my full-term twin pregnancy, thanks to polyhydramnios. Whatever the reason, I haven't bounced back this time like I did with the others. I haven't stepped on a scale for a couple of months because it's just too damn depressing, but from the way my clothes fit, I can tell that I'm still at least 10 pounds over where I was when I got pregnant with Finn, and I'm still a good 2 sizes up from where I'd like to be. It doesn't help that I seem to have no willpower or self-control. I need to eat better, and I need to excersise. I think about it all the time, but my motivation is sadly lacking.

So today I ran into a neighbor with whom I'm friendly as I was on my way out the door. She had her little boy in a jogging stroller and was on her way home from what looked like a nice vigorous walk. We got to talking and have agreed to start meeting a couple times a week to power walk together. I think this is just what I need: a buddy for company and motivation. So we are going to start this coming Wednesday morning. Yayy!

1 comment:

The Sanchez Family said...

So true! It took me finding a group of women to meet up with at least 3 times a week to run. I am such a social exerciser. And....we meet at 5:30 am so that I can get it in and over with. It's the only way to ensure that I get it done. It's crazy but empowering at the same time to start the day out like that. Good luck!!! Those pounds will melt away soon.