Friday, January 2, 2009

Conversation With a Four-Year-Old

I'm a purger. Not that kind of purger. I like to clean out closets and drawers and cabinets on a pretty regular basis. Especially around the holidays. Out with the old, in with the new.

Santa brought the girls a brand new, big, beautiful doll house for Christmas. So I put the word out to my mommy friends that their old, much smaller doll house was up for grabs. I got a taker right away, and she came over this afternoon to take it off our hands. Daisy wanted to know why I was giving her old doll house away, and I told her that another little girl was going to take it since Daisy and her sisters got a new one for Christmas. She wasn't too happy with my unilateral decision to purge one of HER possessions.

A little while after my friend picked up the old doll house, I was holding Finn and Daisy said to me, "Are you going to give him away?"

Me: "What?!"

Daisy: "Are you going to give him away?"

Me: "Who, Finn? No, of course not!"

Daisy: "Why not?"

Me: "Because he's my baby, that's why not."

Daisy: "Well, you gave away MY doll house!" (Picture her standing with hands on hips in a decidedly snotty manner.)

**sigh**

4 comments:

Nicole O'Dell said...

hee hee, now there's some logic for you!

Carla said...

Uh oh! Her dollhouse was just as every bit as precious as she imagines Finn is to you. I guess to a 4-year-old love is, well, just love whether it is for a human or a thing.

Kristin said...

Makes perfect sense right!?! Love the way the minds of children work.

Kara said...

That's awesome. I can totally picture my kids doing the same thing to me!