Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Togetherness: Too Much of a Good Thing . . . or Why I Don't Homeschool

It's not their fault that they've been sick, or that it's been wet and cold and dreary outside, or that because of those things, they've been cooped up inside for days on end. But. They are driving me crazy and I've just about reached my limit.

Joey went back to school today, but the twins were home. They don't normally have school anyway on Tuesdays (they attend preschool 3X per week), but usually when they're home I can send them outside to play for good chunks of time - which is good for them and good for me. But it's all muddy outside because of all the rain we got yesterday, and they're still battling colds, so we all had puhlenty of together time again, indoors, today. Ugh. I can't even get them to nap.

By this afternoon they were literally stampeding through the house, chasing each other, and screaming like lunatics. As they pass me, I sternly point my finger at whichever one is passing me by and yell "STOP IT RIGHT NOW!" They respond with maniacal laughter. I don't scare them. They've completely trashed the house. I am only able to sit here right now and pour out my frustrations because they are watching Dora on TV (yes, I use the television to calm the beasts - sometimes it's the only way to get some peace and quiet around here. Sue me . . . or report me, or whatever).

They are so going to school tomorrow, colds or not. I need a break from all this togetherness.

4 comments:

Eternal Lizdom said...

TV is our reward, our quiet time, our punishment (lack of)... we use as needed!

I feel ya on the insanity. I cannot understand how it is the 2 kids can completely trash a house and it doesn't bother them in the slightest to not be able to walk or have toy sets stay as sets or play with puzzles that are still missing pieces from the last hurricane...

Leigh Anne said...

i'm sorry lisa. i'm feeling the effects of cabin fever myself...

oh and i won't report you this time since it was semi-educational ;)...hee hee. my tv is on most of the time..granted sydney doesn't watch it but still...lol

heather said...

I feel the same after a week of summer! I have a friend that home schools her five children and think she is totally insane! I need the break and routine. Teachers are used to runny noses--let them go be wild at school. You only have a few more days to enjoy it before winter break! :)

Thanks for the blog award! :) I feel very humbled at your kind words. I'll get to passing that on someday very soon! But seriously, it made my day!

Nicole O'Dell said...

Funny: "I don't scare them!" I have a blog post abotu this that I've saved for a day when I have nothing else to say...but apparently I have the exact opposite effect on my kids and i have no idea why. lol