Friday, April 24, 2009

Crock Pot Breakfasts, revisited

I tweaked the oatmeal recipe just a bit last night. Here's what I did:

3 cups old fashioned oats
5 cups water
2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
a couple handfuls of golden raisins

Cook in crock pot on low all night. There was more texture to this batch, which I liked, and the granny smith apples and raisins definitely added more flavor. I also put maple syrup (real maple syrup, not that Log Cabin crap) on mine . . . mmmmm!

Also, the other morning, I made a breakfast "scramble" in the crock pot:

8 eggs
2 cups milk
1 lb. Li'l Smokies
2 - 3 cups diced potatoes
2 cups chopped fresh spinach

Beat eggs and milk and place all ingredients in crock pot; cook on low for 4 - 6 hours; top with shredded cheddar cheese at the end. This was pretty good; however, the problem is that you can't leave it cooking all night, so I made it in the afternoon/evening, refrigerated it and then reheated it in a glass baking dish in the morning. So I don't know if it really cut down on the work, but it was pretty tasty. Probably could have done just as well making the whole thing in a skillet though.

No comments: