Sunday, November 16, 2008

Fire Season

As I posted here yesterday, fire season is in full swing here in our neck of the woods.

When I got up yesterday morning, it was so beautiful outside . . . the sky was this pristine blue, and I was inspired to get outside and take a few pictures:



When I took the above pics, I didn't even realize that the fires had already started in some neighboring towns. By late morning, though, this was the scene:

Michael was across town, much closer to where some of the actual fires were, and took these from thr truck:




This is in front of our house:



By early afternoon, everything had a yellow/orange cast to it.

This is the middle of the afternoon -


Michael and I actually went out to dinner last night. I felt weird about it. It was nice to get out, but I felt a little guilty going out for dinner when people not too far away from us were losing their homes. The air quality was (and still is) just terrible. There were ashes visibly floating around in the air and everything smelled like heavy smoke. The downtown area where we went for dinner was virtually deserted.
This morning there were ashes everywhere. You can see it all over Michael's car and my truck:





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow....how incredible. I have a huge fear of fire. My hubby was in Carlsbad this week for a few days [on his way to Australia] and he said the fires were not too near him.

I will keep you and your neighborhood in my positive thoughts and prayers. Be safe.

Jeanette said...

That is crazy!