Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Social Experiment


A fellow mom from school and I have been engaged in a dialogue about our opposing beliefs with regard to God, Jesus, religion, and the like. We have now made a deal: I have agreed to read The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel, and she has agreed to read The New Atheism by Victor Stenger. We swapped books at school today when we were both there picking up our girls. Fortunately, we were both laughing; I was worried that it might be an uncomfortable exchange, but so far I think we're both pretty good sports about the whole thing.

Can a devout Christian and an ardent Atheist find common ground and even forge a friendship?

Stay tuned.

6 comments:

diane rene said...

this should be interesting :)

I have a close friend that is a devout christian ... we laugh about our differences but when it comes down to the tough questions that need honest answers? we head for each other. no fluff, no god, just two moms making the best of it.

Stephanie said...

That's so funny that you posted this because I just had a dream last night that I was hanging out at your house and our kids were having a camp over or something. LoL, I don't exactly remember what but we were def. friends in that dream and I'd like to think we'd be friends IRL too, even though I'm not Christian but devoutly monotheistic (Muslim). OK, enough of the stalkerish weird stuff, but faith and religion aren't the only common bonds between human beings.

Vinny said...

My wife's sister is a Bible-believing Christian and I have gotten along fine with her and her husband for twenty-five years by the simple expedient of never discussing religion or politics.

I think your problem will be that you are going to wonder how anyone in their right mind could take Strobel's shtick seriously and it will be very hard for you to keep that feeling hidden if you ever discuss the books.

cheryl said...

hi im a mommy living in the far east and i love your blog!! even though I believe in God, I would love to have a friend like you... : )

Taryl said...

I have lots of friends whose beliefs differ vastly from mine! It's definitely possible, though not always comfortable, depending on the topic. Charity and love toward one another go a very, very long way to smoothing out any ills. As long as you both have other common ground and are generous toward one another's differing beliefs, it should work out just fine.

I can, at least, highly endorse the book she recommend to you ;)

Beth said...

Well? I'm dying to know what you think of Strobel!