Monday, February 9, 2009

Appointment with oncologist

Michael had an appointment with the oncologist today, a Dr. Alexson. I tagged along, although I have to say that I would rather have stayed home because I was so terrified of what this guy was going to tell us.

Let me start off by saying that I LOVED this doctor. He was a little goofy looking, which was somehow comforting. He grew up in Queens and still had a bit of a NY accent, so he and Michael swapped info on where each of them grew up, as M is also from NY. He was very warm, very down to earth, and really made an effort to put us at ease.

The doctor spent at least an hour with us and was very thorough, asking M a million questions about his family medical history, his personal medical history, etc. He then went over the MRI report with us.

Michael and I both spent the entire weekend thinking about the MRI he had on Friday and wondering what it might have shown. It was an awful sort of torture, waiting and being so scared and imagining the worst. There were many tears shed over the weekend from the fear and stress of it all.

The MRI showed that the cancer is pretty localized. It's at a stage 3, which means it likely involves surrounding lymph nodes, but the MRI showed no evidence that it's metastasized to other organs. That was our worst fear, that it had spread beyond the colon. Just hearing that felt like this great weight was lifted.

They still want to do two more scans - a CT PET scan, and an ultrasound, to get difinitive answers about the extent of the tumor, but at this point they are moving forward with getting our insurance to authorize treatment, which means Michael will start chemo and radiation by the end of this week or early part of next week. He will have a "pit line" in, which is a line that will go into a vein in his arm and through a particular artery over his heart, and the line will be connected to an exterior pump that will infuse chemotherapy meds into his body continually for about 6 weeks. He will also have to go in 5 days a week for radiation. This type of chemo is apparently not likely to make him feel sick or lose hair, and he is more likely to feel the effects of the radiation after the first couple of weeks. The doctor said that there is no reason to think he won't be able to continue working throughout the treatment, although he will probably be doing a lot of work from home and eventually will start to tire easily. Thankfully the partners at his firm are allowing him whatever flexibility he needs to get through this.

The goal is that the chemo and radiation will shrink the tumor. After radiation is complete, they will do another type of chemo for several more weeks, and then he will have surgery to remove the diseased tissue, and the surgery will be followed by one more round of chemo.

It's a lot. It's going to be quite a road ahead, but the doctor said we have every reason to be optimistic. And I do, I feel very positive and hopeful and optimistic now.

Not surprisingly, everyone has been incredibly supportive already. We are so fortunate to be surrounded by so many caring people. A neighbor not only watched the kids for us today while we went to the oncologist, she surprised us with a homemade chicken pot pie for dinner. A friend has let us know that she has a connection to someone in a medical marijuana co-op! This made me laugh :D - I hope it doesn't come to that, but hey, you never know. My midwife wants to donate blood for Michael because she said that chemo oftem leaves patients so anemic that they need a transfusion. Offers of whatever kind of help we may need are already pouring in, and I can't help but wonder what we've done to earn such esteem. So, although they are very small words, thank you, to everyone.

21 comments:

SunflowerStories said...

Oh man, just reading about the path ahead of you made my stomach turn. I hope the treatment is a great success and M isn't too terribly sick in the process. I can't imagine how you guys are feeling, but it sounds like you have a terrific support network already surrounding you. Will keep you in my thoughts.

Taryl said...

It sounds like there is still quite a ways to go, but I am breathing a HUGE sigh of relief that they think Chemo will do good, without tons of surgery, and that the cancer hasn't spread. I can't imagine what hell the weekend must have been but a caring, warm doctor armed with a workable prognosis is the best I could have imagined for you guys.

I'm still praying for you guys, but I am relieved that Michael will not have to undergo more extensive treatment!

Leigh Anne said...

Lisa. It sucks that you guys are dealing with this crap, but i'm glad the outlook for the entire thing is one of optimism. i'm glad his dr's are on top of everything so well and that his onc is someone you like...it's so important!

I'd offer more, but since we live more than 2500 miles apart, I can at least be here as a listener and can offer advice from my experiences with this...it does sound like you have a caring set of friends surrounding you guys! that's important too!

hugs all around!

Unknown said...

Your family (although none of you know me) is in my thoughts. I wish M only the best with his treatment and I sincerely believe your family has the strength to beat this.

Nicole O'Dell said...

Wow. I am so sorry you guys have to go through this. It's great that you like the doctor and it sounds liek an aggressive treatment.

Keep us posted. Many prayers.

Tricia said...

Again, my heart is filling up with so much love for you guys. You are both so so strong and you deserve every bit of goodness. My hope is that one day you will look back at this as a bump in this long and arduous road. Much strength and healing.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Lisa. Glad you have a good Dr. and hoping it is all the best possible outcome!

Karly said...

{hugs} You guys are awesome and in my thoughts as always. I hope Michael's recovery is swift.

Brandie said...

I'm glad to hear M has a good dr and people are giving you guys the support you need. I love the strength you find in each other. I'll be thiking healing thoughts for your family.

Jen said...

So glad to hear that the doctor had positive things to say and a plan to put in action. You've got a lot of people keeping your family in their thoughts; I have been thinking about you a lot. Your love and strength will get you to the other side of this.

sakun said...

thought of you & michael all day yesterday....good news the cancer has not spread...awesome news! it sounds like a long road lisa for all of you but the love & strength for each other & of your family & friends will get you thru this. you & michael are souch an amazing couple.... I know asking or receiving help from others is so difficult for you but you MUST right now & in the time ahead...your friends & family who do & offer to do do so because we want to & because we care!!!!!

Eternal Lizdom said...

Sounds like things are really pretty positive!

I know this isn't in your line of beliefs... but I am praying for you guys and for his medical team.

My name is Sarah said...

This is Joyce. I so appreciate the excellent overview. Having that doctor connection is so important, so I'm glad that worked out for you and M. It sounds like you have a good base of support out there. We will be thinking of you as the chemo starts.

Amanda said...

It does sound like a long road ahead .... but it's great that the doctor is optimistic, and now you have a plan of action to get him healthy again. Thinking of you guys.

Carla said...

I'm glad you were able to go to the appt. with M and found a good connection with the Dr. Thinking of you, as always.

Anonymous said...

I'm so pleased to hear you've had an encouraging start and very much hope that it will continue on this vein. I think about you guys often.
*sends much love*
Nerys xx

heather said...

I was shocked when I read your blog. I went out of town for a week and just found out about your husband. I am so sorry your family is going through this and am glad you got some good news at the doctors! My thoughts are definitely with you and your family at this time! I've worked a lot with PICC lines and chemotherapy in home health. I know he'll do great! Hugs!

Laurie said...

Been thinking of you guys...
Big hugs, Lisa.
Love you!!

Michelle said...

thinking of you as you both start on this journey of beating this beast!

debbie said...

mike and lisa you both have a strength i admire mike you WILL beat this, you have a great family and friends who care so so much wishing you a quick and easy time in your recovery be well
cuz,
deb

Anonymous said...

Lisa if Michael's chemo meds come in bags, you can see if the ins co will cover a special home infusion backpack. It is so much easier to have one of these, than to try to move around carrying a pole with your bag hooked to it. Depending on the size of the bags, they have fanny packs for this too, or you can always improvise.
Just an idea, I've been through the whole fun of a PICC line, and wouldn't have gone anywhere had I not had a backpack to put my stuff into.
Lots of prayers for your family.

Kasey/Kaseye on PO