Saturday, October 10, 2009

Expanding Our Family

We've been talking about it, and we've been working to get Daisy warmed up to the idea. We decided on a maltipoo, and for the last few weeks I've been searching out rescue organizations without any luck (there are lots of maltipoos available, just couldn't get a response from anyone!). So we kind of put the idea on hold and figured it would happen when the time was right.

So today Michael just happened to be at the mall and meandered into the pet store there (the very same pet store where I got Daisy to pet a dog a few weeks ago). And they happened to have a maltipoo! And she just happened to have been born on Michael's birthday. Cosmic, huh? I got this gushy text from him telling me how she was "so so cute," which is funny because (a) Michael is not a gushy guy, and (b) he's not a dog person (according to him). They let him hold her and check her out in their little get-to-know-each-other room and I think Michael became quite smitten with her very quickly. So it was pretty much a done deal.

And here she is:


Twinkle, so named by Daisy.

Daisy freaked a little when I told her that Daddy was bringing a dog home, but she warmed up to her pretty quickly, although in all honesty, she likes her best when she's in her crate at this point. But I think this is going to be good for Daisy. I took her with me this afternoon to buy a collar and leash for Twinkle, and a brush and some toys.


Uh huh, Mr. Softie.





The kids love her. She's really sweet and mellow. We had hoped to get a dog that was a year + old to avoid a lot of the puppy training, but Twinkle is only about 2 months old. It's been so long since I had a puppy! More than 15 years. This will be interesting. We're going to crate-train her, which I've never done before, but I will say that she's been most of a day now and has yet to piddle in the house.

So there you have it!

7 comments:

Wendy P said...

Cutie Twinkle!! Looks like y'all might have to fight Annabelle for her, though. I know I say it all the time, but your family is so beautiful!

ashamom said...

WooHoo!! Congrats!! Twinkle is sooo cute!!
How fun!!!

SarahHub said...

This is the cutest little dog ever!

Nine years ago, my husband and I went dog shopping for an older, house-trained dog. We came home with an eight-week-old puppy... They're just irresistible!

Congrats on the new addition to your family.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! She is precious!! Sorry I do not have any tips for crate training as I did not crate Beastie. But I am sure you will do great and so will Twinkle! Congrats on the new family member!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness gracious! She is absolutely adorable! Congrats on your new addition! She's darling, and so are your pictures!

Unknown said...

She is ADORABLE!

Keri said...

Only piece of advice I'd offer is based on my own experience with my dog and visiting kids. The crate should be the dog's safe place. Teach the kids not to bother the dog when she is in the crate. This gives the dog someplace to "hide" if one of the little kids (or a visiting child) is being too rough. Good luck with Twinkle, she's a cutie!