Saturday, October 9, 2010

Tricks and Treats: Where To Draw the Line?



Now that Halloween is almost upon us and Kevin is fast approaching fourteen (in January), I am giving serious consideration to the question of what is too old for trick-or-treating. Of course he still wants, and plans, to go out trick-or-treating this year, though he's at the age, and has been for a couple of years now, where, rather than canvasing the neighborhood with Mom and Dad, he trolls the neighborhood with a friend, sans supervision. (Holy run-on sentence, Batman!) It's not the lack of supervision that weighs on me, it's just that I've never been a fan of teenagers showing up at my door with their hands out for candy, offering me a surly "Trick or treat" with an accompanying eye-roll (you can actually hear the eye-rolling in their voices, I swear you can!), with nary a costume save for maybe a silly hat. Really, you want a treat for that?

I don't know . . . Halloween - at least the trick-or-treating part - seems like it oughta be reserved for the tykes. You know, say, the twelve-and-under set. Teenagers out trick-or-treating almost seems like taking your teen to the mall at Christmas to pose for pictures on Santa's lap.

Still, Kevin wants to go trick-or-treating again this year. I'll probably let him. At least he's still willing to do actual costumes - that's the least a kid can do if he wants a handout, don't you think? But I'm really thinking this may be the last year for Kevin. Am I being too much of a hardass, a party-pooper? Where do all you other parents stand on this? Share your thoughts, and feel free to answer my poll.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom made my last year of trick-or-treating be in the 6th grade. Which was fine. From then on, a few of my friends would just come to my house and we would watch scary movies and pass out candy to the trick-or-treaters. I think we had more fun than having to wander the streets in the rain to get the candy. HA!

heather said...

I chose 14 on your poll because Jack is 13 and I know he is planning on going again this year. I think by next year he'll be doing more party type stuff at a friend's house. I think I might be more comfortable with the trick or treating. Ha!

diane rene said...

my neighbor is 27 and she still dresses up and T-or-T's every year ... of course, she looks like she is twelve!
My oldest stopped in high school, because that was when the parties started ... I would rather her still be T-or-T'ing, but it's part of growing up.
Roxie goes back and forth each year about it. last year (9) she didn't want to. this year she is planning on heading out with some girls ... we shall see what actually happens when the rest of the parents get wind of the plan ;)

FogCityNews said...

I voted 14 since that's generally when kids are in high school. I would encourage my kids at that age to have or attend a party, or stay home & watch something scary. I'm willing to let a 13yo go TOTing as long as they are in a real costume. I also limit the amount of candy my kids can collect. We go out with a small bucket, when it's filled we can keep walking around looking at decorations, or go home.