Thursday, October 21, 2010

Standing Up To the Headshrinker, Take II


Well, I hate to leave anyone hanging - I'm sure everyone's been on the edge of their seats wondering what happened last night when I was going to tell my therapist buh-bye.

So, as expected, I had nothing pressing to talk about. So for an hour we just talked about my kids in general terms.

When the hour was up, she pulled out her smart phone, my cue to pull out my own so that we could set the next appointment. I swallowed the lump of nervousness and said, "I'm going to take a break." She said that she was going to suggest this (hmmmm, really? Okay, I'm being cynical. Maybe she really was going to). She did, however, convince me to make an appointment for early December, "just to check in."

Eh, whatever. I can always call and cancel.

2 comments:

diane rene said...

maybe your growth was stunted?

hehe

but seriously, good for you!

Amy W said...

Isn't it crazy how nervous we can feel to tell someone that we're OKAY? I felt the same way when my husband and I told our therapist we were ready to only come once a month instead of twice. Like he was going to chastise us and say "Ho, NO, I don't think so, people!"

In retrospect, he didn't even give us the courtesy of saying that he agreed, he just politely said OK. ;) WE felt like we ready to step it down, though, so that is what counted.

That said, I miss my personal therapist in the US!