Friday, September 17, 2010

Alone With My Thoughts

Sometimes it's easier to sit on my ass. Today I chose to get moving instead. Even though it takes extra effort to put on my running walking shoes, load the jogging stroller with Finn, water and cell phone, and even though as I'm doing the getting-ready stuff I'm thinking of all the things I could do if I stayed home, once I get out and walking it feels good.

I wouldn't call it a real workout by the standards of anyone who actually works out, but I push myself to walk at a brisk pace, get the heart pumping and the sweat flowing. And while I'm doing this for my body, I'm always reminded how good it is for my mind, too.

With no distractions except the forward motion of my feet, I am alone with my thoughts. I replay conversations in my head, often seeing them in a new light. I play out conversations I'd like to have but probably never will. I unravel things that have been bothering me, and although I can't say I necessarily come to any resolution, I often see things with a new clarity. I think about things I am especially thankful about. I make lists and resolutions, and forgive myself for not succeeding at all the resolutions I set for myself the last time (like walking at least four times a week!). And every so often I pass someone else out walking, and a friendly nod or smile or "Morning" passes between us, and there's that feeling of goodwill that's so nice.

I need to do this more often.

No comments: