Thursday, December 11, 2008

I can't figure her out.

Daisy. I've mentioned her phobias. I just can't figure her out, though. The list of things she's afraid of has grown to the point that we've kind of figured out that it's ridiculous to even try to get her to get over these fears, but that it's more a matter of teaching her how to manage her fears. I've spent so much time lately being stressed out about her phobias, because they interfere with normal activities.

But then she goes and just surprises me and I don't know what to make of it.

She remains terrified of animals. That is a constant. It's been a terror of hers since she was 18 months - 2 years old. When she encounters an animal, she gets hysterical, to the point that I worry she might pass out (she never has).

She's afraid of public restrooms and refuses to use the bathroom at school, so will hold it the entire time.

However.

This last summer she also developed a terror of bugs - especially flies and bees. And she would react with the same hysteria that she does with dogs. But now she seems to be over that. She still doesn't like bees or flies, but she doesn't come completely unglued. Hmmm.

This morning was very interesting. Daisy and Annabelle both had their 4-year well check with the pediatrician. When we pulled into the parking garage there, Annabelle became afraid. And there was Daisy, telling Annabelle that there was nothing to be afraid of. Huh? Also, Daisy used to be terrified of elevators - she would freak out whenever we had to get on an elevator. We have to ride the elevator 4 times when we visit the pediatrician: one down from the parking garage, then one up to the dr.'s office, then down from the dr.'s office, and finally back up to the parking garage. Well, guess who isn't afraid of elevators anymore? Guess who actually laughs on them and thinks they're fun? Daisy. Seriously.

They both had to get shots at today's appt., one in each arm :( Annabelle was first, and cried (so did Mommy). Even after seeing her sister get shots and cry because of them, Daisy was raring to go for her turn - and she only flinched a little. She didn't cry, and she was so proud of how brave she was.

It all seems strange to me. But it makes me feel hopeful, too, that maybe over time she'll learn to deal with her other fears.

3 comments:

Leigh Anne said...

What a big girl...no crying! I'm impressed. I still cry when I get shots (at home anyway) and I'm 28! LOL.

I think, well, it has been my experience, that fears at such a young age are usually outgrown. I was deathly afraid of dogs when I was a kid (around 3 years old), and I'm ok with them now. I mean, I don't go snuggling up to strange ones, but I don't get all up in arms anymore either. Now I'm still totally afraid of even the smallest spiders and will make DH come and get rid of them if I see one, but I think that's common in a lot of us :)

What a precious family you have Lisa!

Momza said...

My now-eighteen year old daughter was TERRIFIED of balloons and spiders when she was your daughter's age. We never figured out why--but it was disconcerting...especially at family-friendly restaurants where they have helium-filled balloons! You can only imagine how fun that was! Not. Then, she just grew out of it within a year.
So don't spend too much time worrying about it--they grow out of it! Hang in there!

Kara said...

It's so funny how quickly kids can change their minds about stuff! My four year old, with similar phobias, seems to get worse when she knows her older sister will let her play the role of the baby, and better when she wants to be a "big girl." Only time will tell!