Friday, December 5, 2008

How do you deal with someone who breaks a kid's heart?

How do you deal with a so-called grownup who breaks a little kid's heart? Who has probably caused a permanent emotional scar to this child who is too young and too trusting to understand how selfish and callous adults can be? Someone who refuses to take any responsibility for their choices and behavior? How do you find forgiveness for somebody who's not even sorry? How do you avoid letting your heart be consumed with bitterness against such a person? How do you face this person and look them in the eye, because they must remain at least on the fringes of your life through no choice of your own?

I don't mean to be cryptic. Some of you know the whole back story here and probably get whom I'm talking about. I'm not going to bother laying it out for everyone else, because this person isn't worth the time and effort.

It continues to eat at me, though, and is brought to the surface every time that Joey, like today, asks a question about this person, showing that his little heart still wants to believe in the goodness of people, even people who hurt him.

2 comments:

Carla said...

Oh, Lisa, I do know of whom you speak and I feel for you and Joey (and Kevin). The only thing I can think of is to say to Joey "not even grown-ups always behave the way they are supposed to behave". Now picture me doing a shoulder shrug and sending hugs.

Tracy said...

Wow Lisa, I can't believe I came on here tonight before writing and to discover you have written about something I was going to address myself.Your issue sounds to maybe be a little more serious than mine but its something I have been dealing with, with Hallie for a couple of years. It is such a feeling of helplessness when your child hurts in such a way, I try to teach Hallie that she will be a stronger person in the future because of it.