Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Negative Me

That last post . . .

I suspect my husband will read it (or has already read it) and say "Another negative post." He's been known to kind of bring this to my attention, that I tend to post things on my blog leaning towards the negative. And it's true.

Here's the thing: usually the urge to write comes when I need to get something off my chest. When something's bothering me, or I'm turning something over in my head, grappling with it. Writing is an outlet for me. Sometimes I try to put a humorous spin on it - I do like to go for the yucks sometimes. Seeing the humor makes things seem not so bad, not so serious.

The fact of the matter is, though, that I'm a cynical, pessimistic girl at heart. One of those people who has a thin skin, takes things very much to heart, and tends to see the glass as half empty. These are not necessarily things to be proud of, but it's who I am, and I'm honest about it.

That's not to say that there aren't a million wonderful things in my little world, or that I'm not aware of them or grateful for them. I am. I'm just not very much into the Pollyanna-ish view of things, and frankly the wonderful things usually don't inspire me to write as much as the crummy things.

And really, people want the dirt. It's true! It makes people feel better about their lives, and it gives them an opportunity to feel superior: "I'm glad I'm not that negative!"

So really, I'm providing a service here ;)

2 comments:

Esther and Brian said...

You be who you are and you stay true to yourself...really, why should you change? I don't think that your "negative" posts make me feel better about my life..they just make me think more or see another point of view.
I enjoy all your posts, the ones where you might complain about something and also the ones where you show off your kiddos, like Piano Man or Finn, the musical talent.
This is what makes both of your blogs interesting...and real!

ashamom said...

LOL! 100% TRUE!