Thursday, January 21, 2010

The gods are against me.


It's shaping up to be another kick-ass day, let me tell you.

Our oven seems to be on the fritz. When I was making dinner last night, the oven was making this awful buzzing sound which I've never heard it make before. I kept waiting for the whole thing to explode. It didn't. But still, I have a sneaking suspicion that the noise does not bode well for the oven.

Finn vomited all over his crib last night after I put him to bed. Daisy was sick all last weekend with a fever and vomiting, and I've been holding my breath wondering when the other kids would come down with it. After throwing up the once, though, Finn did sleep peacefully for the rest of the night and seems okay this morning. I think. Of course, I haven't fed him breakfast yet, so I'm not sure.

Joey is definitely sick. He's thrown up twice this morning and is warm and complaining of a headache.

Oh! The heater is out, too. Just. Not. Working. And it's COLD! Still storming outside. No heat inside. Yayy! It very well could be something as simple as a pilot light (although, talking to Michael on the phone this morning, he's not sure our heater even uses a pilot light). However, the heater unit is located in a dark, creepy, dank utility closet downstairs off the garage. I NEVER go down there. Ever. Because rats took up residence in the garage and utility closet a couple years back. We've since eradicated the rat problem, but I still cannot bring myself to go down there. Because I believe in rat ghosts. Also, even if I could summon up the nerve to go down there, I wouldn't know the first thing to do. I don't know anything about heaters, and I'm not a tinker-er. I am sad to say that when it comes to things like this, I am a helpless female. This is the kind of thing I have a husband for. That and all the sex. So. Here are my choices, as I see them:
  • Freeze.
  • Call a repair guy and likely pay a fortune.
  • Expose my helpless female self and call a neighbor.
I am thinking I will start with option number 3.

School was not canceled today because of the horrid weather (as Kevin had hoped), but I have taken it upon myself to cancel school for my kids for today. I can't very well put the sick, throwing up kid(s) in the truck to take the non-sick kids to and from school. So they are home today, currently wrapped in blankets in the living room. They will be watching entirely too much TV today, I'm just going to be up front about that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Is Michael home yet??? Hope your week ended ok and kids are on the mend for school tomorrow :) Lisa