Friday, December 11, 2009

A little holiday cheer, anyone?


I admit it: I have not felt even the slightest twinge of the proverbial holiday spirit. Too bogged down by everything else going on and really just kind of hoping that if I pretend Christmas isn't just around the corner, maybe it won't actually get here.

But last night was my book club's annual holiday dinner/celebration. Throughout the year, we read and meet to discuss a book a month. But in December, we skip the reading and get together for dinner, drinks, and a book-gift exchange instead. In the past, we've had our little shindig at a local fondue restaurant, but this year, Angela graciously offered (was tricked into?) hosting at her lovely house.

I was very late in arriving, due to bad night vision, which resulted in my not being able to make out any of the addresses on her street, which resulted in my driving up and down the street looking for her house, and then parking my truck and walking up and down the street looking for her house, and finally, getting back in my truck and driving home feeling like a complete L-O-S-E-R. Which resulted in my fab hubby insisting on driving me back over there to find the right house, which he did with no problem, and dropping me off. Sad, huh?

But all's well that ends well. I made it, and the food and company were wonderful, as usual. And I left feeling positively festive! Can I just say that I LOVE my book club? It's been going strong for over six years now, and what a great group of women.


My contribution to the potluck was a batch of these Chocolate Peppermint kisses, which were a big hit. They're meringue cookies and actually a vestige of my childhood; my mother used to make these every Christmas and passed the recipe to me at some point.

Chocolate Peppermint Kisses

2 egg whites
dash salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2 tbsp finely crushed candy cane
chocolate chips for topping

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Beat egg whites and salt at high speed until stiff. Gradually add sugar and continue beating until very stiff. Fold in vanilla, chocolate chips, and crushed candy cane. Drop teaspoonfuls on greased cookie sheets and top each with a chocolate chip. Bake at 250 for 45 minutes.

Makes 3 - 4 dozen

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Lisa, my mom used to make those cookies for us, too! We'd BEG her to make them everytime we needed to bring something into school because they seemed so odd to everyone else. I have tried to make them THREE times and always ROYALLY screw up and end up with flat hard disks. We call them forget-me-nots. And seeing them brings back memories of my mom!