Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Not the best day

Social security was a bust. I got there, with Lilah and Finn in tow, and there were at least 30 people ahead of me, sitting in the waiting area waiting for their numbers to be called. There was just no way in hell I was going to sit there (actually stand there, as it was standing room only) for that long. I don't know what I'm going to do. Michael took care of Lilah's after she was born. Maybe I can get him to take care of Finn's too. Or I'm just going to have to go back and wait at the door before they open. Blech.

As for Elisa, the cleaning lady. I am so pissed. I've been all nervous about confronting her about the broken picture frame. So I left it sitting on the dining room table today so she couldn't miss it and then I said to her, "Oh, by the way, did this fall off the wall when you were here last week?" She looked like a deer in headlights and she said "Umm, no." I was floored. I didn't even know what else to say. I just said, "Oh, okay." I figured she would get defensive or something, but I really really didn't think she would just blatantly lie to me. I could give a crap less about the picture frame (although it cost me $30 to replace it, but whatever), but the fact that she would break something - I'm sure accidentally - and then not say anything to me about it and THEN lie to me! It really is so obvious that it happened at her hands. The kids can't even reach it, so I know it wasn't them. I've been nothing but good to her. I'm not demanding, I never ask her to do anything extra, I never complain about the things she misses, I gave her a really good holiday bonus last year - and this is what I get. And I am kicking myself because it's probably at least partly my fault for not showing a little spine. I don't know what to do. M thinks I should just fire her, but honestly I just think I'll find more of the same elsewhere. This is someone who came highly recommended to me by a neighbor who has used her for several years. If that kind of recommendation results in this, I guess you just can't trust anyone.

No comments: