Thursday, November 6, 2008

The cost of living . . . well?

I have a Starbucks addiction. Every morning - and I mean every single morning, 7 days a week, 365 days a year - I get a Grande Mocha, no whip, from Starbucks. I've been drinking cafe mochas from Starbucks on a daily basis for over 12 years now. I actually sat down yesterday and came up with some frightening numbers:

$3.55 . . . the cost of one grande no whip mocha
$24.85 . . . the cost of a week's worth of grande no whip mochas
$1,292.20 . . . the cost of a year's worth of grande no whip mochas

This is a startling number. I think this is more than we pay for our combined auto insurance for a year.

Over the last 12 years, the cost of my addiction has fluctuated, since Starbucks occasionally raises its prices and for a time I was drinking a Vente Mocha with an add shot every day, and for a time I cut back to just a tall mocha every day. But I think it's safe to say that over the last 12 years, I've spent somewhere in the neighborhood of . . . gulp . . . $12,000.00 on effing coffee!! And that's not even factoring in Michael's coffee. He gets regular coffee from Starbucks (although he claims not every day) at the cost of $1.60 a cup. I don't even want to do the math.

This got me thinking about the other ways I treat myself. How about the $75ish I spend every month to get pedicures and my nails done? And how about the $30ish we spend every week on pizza night?

It's certainly nice that we can afford these things, but man. Just think if this money went into a savings account instead. Kind of depressing.

2 comments:

Darla said...

I am also guilty of this addiction. Currently is an Americano, but it was previously Honey Lattes and before that Carmel Machiattos.

I consider the price of sanity on a mundane day lol You have to live a little!

doulamom said...

I've started using
www.mint.com and I LOVE it. Helps tell you where you're spending with charts and whiz bang stuff.

and Because I work with college student's I've been told that if you keep a little sip in the bottom of your starbucks cup (even if it's OLD) they will refill it for .50c and you can even ask for a new cup. penny pinchers LOL